New Zealand Equity
The Nikko AM New Zealand Equity team is based in Auckland, New Zealand and has three dedicated Australasian Equity Portfolio Managers. The award winning team has cemented its place as one of New Zealand’s leading equity teams.
With a breadth of experience and access to the resource base of a global asset manager, the team has fostered a dynamic culture that serves as a platform for ongoing success.
Nikko AM NZ’s approach is a high conviction, fundamental investment process that delivers attractive and repeatable risk adjusted returns. Fundamental research identifies mis-priced companies that offer a blend of value, sustainability and growth. Our research is expected to be insightful and to generate high active share portfolios. Risk management is embedded through all stages of the investment process.
The team believes that effective execution of the process relies on a culture of focused collaboration to achieve one goal: high conviction portfolios that aim to achieve the best outcomes for clients.
It is this combination of extensive experience, future quality and effective execution that offers a compelling and differentiated outcome for our clients.
In researching companies, developing recommendations and constructing portfolios we have a clear focus on our fiduciary responsibilities and ESG. The team seeks to understand how industry and company ESG factors impact investments and client portfolios. ESG factors form an important element in understanding investments, but cannot be managed in isolation.
Global Equities - Multi Manager
Domestic Equity Team
Head of NZ Equities
- Responsible for the Domestic Equities team and managing the Concentrated Equity Fund, the Core Equity Fund and associated mandate. Covers the Healthcare and Mining & Metals sectors. Also covers NZ Equity, Property funds and covers the Property (ex Australia), Energy and Materials sectors
- Over 20 years of experience within the finance industry including Schroders in the UK and ASB Group Investments in New Zealand
- Holds a Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Auckland
- Joined in 2006
Michael De Cesare, CAIA
- Responsible for the SRI Equity Fund. Covers the Telecommunications, Transport, Consumer Discretionary and Consumer Staples sectors
- Over 12 years of experience in the finance industry including ANZ Institutional Bank and Fortis Investments
- Holds a First Class Honours degree in Industrial Economics from the University of Nottingham Business School, United Kingdom
- Joined in 2012
- Responsible for providing overall management of the diversified funds and for managing external investment managers.
- Over 20 years’ experience in investment management as both an analyst and portfolio manager. Prior to starting at Nikko AM, Alan spent 16 years at ANZ Investments and has also held roles at Theta Capital Management in Amsterdam and Morley Asset Management in London.
- Joined in 2023.
Mei- Zi Ho
Holds a conjoint degree of the Batchelor of Business and the Batchelor of Science from Auckland University of Technology. Over 10 years of experience in the finance industry including roles in Deloitte Cayman Islands, and the RBNZ. Joined in 2015.
Covers the Retirement, Financials, IT and Industrials sectors. More than 13 years of experience within the finance industry including prior roles at Nikko AM, BNZ Wealth and NZ Super Fund. Tim holds a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Auckland and a Masters of Applied Finance from Victoria University of Wellington. Re-joined in 2020.
Covers the Utilities, Infrastructure and Australian Property sectors. Over eight years' experience in the finance industry, most recently covering listed property at Jarden in New Zealand. Owen holds a Bachelor of Commerce and a Bachelor of Science from Victoria University. Joined in 2020.